Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Quick Lunch: Onion Soup ♥

♥ It all starts here, In the Kitchen. ♥

It's a chilly day and I was craving some warm soup! It's was almost lunch time so I decided create just enough for a small, quick, warm luncheon. I created a lovely Onion Soup while thinking of some lovely childhood memories.

When I was a child my family had a favorite Italian restaurant called Savino's Hideaway. The place was great. Even the building was interesting. It was a log structure with a cozy set of dining rooms and very large bar. Everything they served was tasty and many a great meal was enjoyed there with my family. One of the items they served was a fantastic French Onion Soup! It was wonderful! It was my Grandmothers favorite! I have no idea what there original recipe was - but this is my quick Onion Soup homage to such a wonderful set of memories!

Gather the following:

3 Yellow Onions & 3 Red Onions, cleaned and chopped
1 Green Onion
2 Cloves Garlic, shelled and minced
6 cups water
2 cups Veggie Stock
1/2 Lemon, juiced
1/3 cup Apple Juice
1 tsp. Honey
1 tsp. Coriander, ground
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp. Thyme
1 tsp. Nutritional yeast
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Optional:
A thick slice of bread that works for you. (I think Savino's used French Bread)
Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds

Pour the Veg stock into the pot.
Place the onions, garlic, juices, thyme, bay leaf and coriander in the pot.
Bring to a boil.
Add the S&P
Taste the soup and adjust the amounts as nec.
Add the water, nutritional yeast and honey.
Bring to a boil and simmer until the onions are translucent.

Quick Onion Soup.

IF you choose to include the bread  (which I happen to be out of today)-

Toast your bread. Place the bread into each individual cup or bowl. Ladle your onion soup into your vessels  atop the bread. Place some Daiya on top of the bread. This will be very wet cheesy toast. Enjoy!
If you would prefer your bread not be saturated with your soup/your soup not be inundated by your bread - toast the bread in the taster oven, then add the Daiya on top of it, and use the toaster oven to let it melt. You could either keep it on the side or dip it in the soup. Enjoy!

I know this is not exactly difficult or fancy. It is pure comfort food as seen through the lense of my inner child as she reflects on cold days and warm memories. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here: