Friday, February 15, 2013

Tomato Basil Soup - Slow cooker

Tomato Basil Soup ♥  - yes in the slow cooker! Put it all in first thing and when you are ready for supper there will be so little left to do! So wonderful in cold weather! Extra good with corn muffins too!


Some nice red soup just in time for Valentines weekend! This would be so cool in a heart shaped bowl. I wonder where one could get those....  hummm...

I was cold and wanted a warm and soothing dinner and threw some simply yummy basics into the slow cooker and voila! So come along and enjoy this yummy soup treat!

Here is what you will need -

1 large slow cooker
1 immersion blender

1 bunch of carrots, cleaned, peeled or scrubbed and chopped in chunks
2 28 oz. cans of tomato (puree or diced or 1/1) (I prefer Muir Glen tomato puree)
2 28 oz. cans of drinking water (I use the cans of tomato just emptied for measuring)
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 Tbsp. dried basil
1 Tbsp. salt (or to taste)
2 tsp. ground black pepper (or to taste)
1 Tbsp sugar or honey (or to taste)
1 box soy milk

I add all of the above to the slow cooker in the morning. Stir and cover. It smells great while its cooking. At supper time I turn it off , unplug the appliance and remove the lid. I use the immersion blender in the slow cooker (careful it is HOT).  I taste the soup and adjust the salt/spice if necessary. Then I ladle the soup into the bowls. I prefer to serve it with some type of muffin or bread. This can also be a lovely base for Manhattan clam chowder. But that is a post for another day!

♥ Happy Hearts Weekend Ya'll! ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here: