Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Glazed Angelfood

This is a sticky, sweet cake. If thats what your after then this is for you....


Baking = Love.  I have oft thought that going to pastry school would oh sooo float my boat! Then came food allergies. This is the single hardest allergen free cooking area for me. I have searched high and low for ingredients and mixes that could come remotely close to the results I had with full pantry fare. As such it is forever a work in progress.

Recently Lisa from Hungry Girl (a full pantry; calorie busting blog) posted that a single can of soda can be used in place of egg and oil for boxed cake mixes. I decided that I would try several versions of her ideas with the GF allergen friendly mixes. Well - today is the day my friends. My kitchen assistants and I broke out a favorite cake pan and went to town on the following.

If you like Angel Food Cake - Try this!:
1 Bag Bobs Red Mill GF Vanilla Cake Mix
1 Can Mountain Dew


Classic Awesome Glaze:
1/4 to 1/3 cup soy milk
1 T vanilla (allergen free)
2 cup powdered sugar
      Warm the Soy Milk and Vanilla on the stovetop and whisk the powdered sugar in untill smooth. Remove promptly and pour over cake.



I prefer to always run the box or bag mixes through the strainer into the mixing bowl as a first step.

Covering the mixing bowl with the old clean kitchen towel to keep the mix from pluming up and making a giant mess. I repeated this process three times doing 1/3 of the bag at a time. I used a spoon to mash the last bit of larger grains through the sieve. The point of all this is to add air and remove clumps.

Add the can of soda to the fully sifted cake mix and either whisk vigorously or let your mixer do the work. Spray your pan well with your choice of non stick spray or oil. Pour in your batter. Bake at 325 for one hour. Let this cool entirely then create and pour the Classic Awesome Glaze over the room temp. cake. Allow to sit while the glaze hardens. Let the whole desert rest. I used a large stock pot upside down over the plated cake to keep it lovely and room temp on the counter top.   :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here: