Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Oh the MAGIC of chocolate cake.....

Magical chocolate cake has quite a history with my clan.

  This Magic is practically its own food group! Its celebratory and comforting, can be enjoyed indoors or outdoors, devoured warm or cool. I think it can even be breakfast food - I mean why not? It simply delights the scenses - and the kitchen assistants ;)

I recently made the 'Bob's Red Mill GF Choc Cake' mix and WOW!! This made one amazing cake! Often I find that baked goods can be really tricky when balancing all these substitutions - but EVERYONE will love the rich chocolaty goodness of this little winner! Now, being me I tweeked the recipe on the bag just a bit ;)   and of course I made it free of : peanuts, gluten/wheat, egg, and dairy.

What you'll need:
  • Oven pre-heated at 350°F
  • 1/2 cup Butter (I use Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
  • 1 cup Rice Milk
  • 2 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract 
  • 2 Tbsp. ground Flaxseed mixed into 6 Tbsp. warm water in a cup. Let sit, stirring occationally for 2-ish minutes 
  • 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
  • 1 pkg Bob's Red Mill GF Chocolate Cake mix 
  • 2/3 cup warm filtered water at 110°F (can be microwaved when you begin. Use cooking thermometer after heating to moniter temp.)

I began by dropping the Earth Balance into the stand mixer bowl and using the lowest setting to cream it. While on low speed, I added the Rice Milk, the Vanilla, the Flax mixture, and the Lemon juice. I then added the cake mix slowly allowing it to be mixed in as I poured. After allowing the cake mix to be incorporated I then added the water (after carefully checking its temperature).

I used a Nordic Wear mini bundt pan with four forms. After oiling the pan well I poured in the batter to about half-way.  The cakes are about six inches in diameter each - and I had enough to fill two of the four options. I filled the remaining two forms half-way with water. Baked at 350°F for 50 minutes.

These cakes came out beautifully! When cooled, turned out, and ready to serve I sprinkled powdered sugar over the top. Kids and their adults LOVED every MAGICAL bite of seriously delicious chocolate cake!

So - what are you waiting for? Bring some chocolate MAGIC into your kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here: