Saturday, April 21, 2012

Coconut Daal (Indian inspired lentils with coconut)

Indian inspired lentils with coconut


I was introduced to a bit of Indian food about a year ago. I liked the lentil dish I tried and thought my kitchen could handle a little excitement!

I tried creating a variety of things that did not go so well. I confess that Indian food scares me a little. So many ingredients I read about were unobtainable or indecipherable. I eventually came up with this approachable and yummy version of Indian inspired lentils made with every day and easy to find components.

I decided that this inexpensive tasty meal should be posted here. My kitchen assistants love this and I bet yours will too. Y'all try it and let me know what you think!

Here's what you need:

1 bag lentils, sorted, rinsed
1 7oz can green chilies
1 can coconut milk
1 T. Coriander, ground
1 T. Turmeric
1 t. Mustard Seed
1 t. Cumin Seed
2/3 28 oz. can Crushed Tomato
1 1/2 onion, chopped
3 T. Oil (Corn or Canola)
Salt to taste
-
Soak the lentils for several hours - cover  with water by about an inch. When you are ready to begin - drain the water and refill with fresh water. Boil for 30  min or until they reach desired tenderness. Drain and set aside.

In a little oil - fry onions, when soft add salt, tomatoes, green chilies, and turmeric. After the before mentioned items are well fried add the coconut milk. Simmer. Remove from heat and add to pot of Lentils.

Add 3T oil to empty pan. Add and coriander. Cook an additional minute and remove from heat. Add  into the lentil mix.

Stir well. Taste. Adjust salt to taste. Enjoy.

Note - this is one of those things that tastes better the longer it sits. ♥

Consider serving over long grain rice. It really is yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here: